The school nurse is not responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of illness or the prescribing of drugs and medications.
1. Usual treatment consists of first aid procedures. Care beyond first aid is not the responsibility of the school.
2. The school nurse provides students with medication only when the medication has been prescribed by a physician.
3. Students requiring prescription medications at school must have a statement in writing from the physician, which identifies the medication, the dosage, route, time, and the need for the medication.
4. Parents must give written permission for the school nurse to give medication to their child.
5. The school nurse should be advised of any medication being taken by a child attending school, particularly if the medication might cause behavioral changes.